Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Early Spring Song Reviews!

Hello, readers! I've been meaning to do this for a while, and since my last couple of posts have been rather long tangents, I thought this would give all of you a nice break from my ramblings. I'll be talking about 3 songs that deserve a place on your playlist for a variety of reasons. They may not all be "new," but they're worth a listen.

1). Hey Brother by Avicii.
I really don't think there are many songs that are more heartfelt than this. He addresses a brother and a sister, but the lyrics could be applied to anyone. In the main chorus, he declares that "if the sky comes falling down, for you, there's nothing in this world I wouldn't do." It's a classic song about always being there for your loved ones. And while the lyrics are incredibly sweet, it's not your typical sappy song. The music is upbeat enough to listen to on a jog or at the gym, or even on a long drive. The video is touching and heartbreaking and amazing, but it's up to interpretation. What do you guys think?

2). Counting Stars by OneRepublic.
OneRepublic has always been a favorite band of mine, and this song is definitely one of my favorites. The tune and the lyrics practically hypnotizing, and you can't help but sing along when you hear it. This is another one that's perfect for a nighttime drive down the highway. The music to this is pretty epic and upbeat as well. It takes a few listens to get the meaning of the lyrics, for those of you who pay attention to that (I know I do). I'll leave the interpretation of the song up to you guys, because it's definitely a mish-mash of things somehow connected. There's a mention of "no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars" and they also go on to talk about all these conflicts of theirs- right or wrong, old or young, and the fact that "everything that kills me, makes me feel alive." It's a heavy but amazing song. What do you guys think?

3). Glory and Gore by Lorde.
Yes, I know, we've heard a lot of her on the radio between Royals and now Team. But this is a song off of her album that hasn't made it as big as Team, but to me it's just as platinum-status worthy. Let's just take a minute to appreciate the ingeniousness that is Lorde and her songwriting, shall we? Listening to her is always such a refreshing experience, and this song is no different. Her lyrics are as always incredibly profound, with lines like "but in all chaos there is calculation," "we gladiate but I guess we're really fighting ourselves," "secretly you love this, do you even really wanna go free?" and basically the entire song. Like the previous song, what she's really singing about is open to interpretation. It could be war, it could be literally about gladiators, or even about violence and fights in general. For those of you who listen to songs to pay attention to lyrics, this is a great one for you. For those of you that prefer to just listen to the beat, this is still great. It's different from the other two songs in this blog post. The music is darker, but the beat is pretty amazing, so you won't be disappointed.

So, I hope I've given you some more refreshing additions to your various playlists. These songs are all really different from the usual, "mainstream" tunes typically played on the radio stations. Even if you don't fall in love with them, they're worth a listen.

~Simran :)

No comments:

Post a Comment